Thursday, October 13, 2016

The Birth of a Hater

For quite some time, Black Americans have been clamoring for more films that tell our version of history, that showcase events not privy to those outside of the “woke” crowd. Something other than a black man in a dress, a dirty cop, the comedic relief, or something else that focuses on the negative stereotypes that this nation has placed on our great race. In comes Nate Parker’s Birth of a Nation, a film that chronicles the exploits of Nat Turner leading up to the uprising he led in 1831. So, instead of giving Parker a standing ovation for a historical docu-drama that was relevant and right on time, we as a people are busy doing the devil’s work; tearing brother Nate, and his work apart.

I took my son to see some movie, knowing him, it was probably something in the Marvel universe, where we saw a preview for The Birth of a Nation. I had heard that Parker’s film had done tremendously well at Sundance and was picked up by a major film company, but I was enamored to see it on the big screen and coming soon. So I told my child that I would be taking him to see this because I knew that seeing the visual representation of Nat Turner’s story would open the door for a teaching lesson. Turner’s saga was something I was familiar with, and something that I knew I wanted to share with him. And like a kid awaiting Christmas, I anxiously looked forward to the premiere of this film.

As the date became closer and closer, I’ve noticed that criticism against the film started was less about the film and more about the director and starring actor, Mr. Parker. I cannot speak on the specifics of Parker’s case, however, because he was acquitted, I’m going to let him enjoy his freedom. I am not the rest of the general public and others have not been so forgiving. Now, the beautiful representation of Nat Turner on the big screen for others who may not know of his life and actions or to provide a visual to something that has largely been words on a page has turned into Nate Parker vindicating his status as a “rapist,” or how rape fueled one of the most notorious slave revolts in history.

Let’s be clear, I saw The Birth of a Nation, I enjoyed it, and I looked at it from a historical standpoint, an entertainment standpoint, and I do not regret taking my ten year old to see it. Am I terribly upset that Parker’s story focused on a romance between Nat and Cherry despite there being a lack of evidence that Nat Turner was even married in the first place? Not at all. I know enough about slavery to know that marriages often went undocumented for fear of families being separated or retribution for the actions of the patriarch being taken out on family members. With that being said, I know that I would be out of my mind for wondering why Nat Turner didn’t mention Cherry at one point in his confession. But why would he, so she could meet a similar fate? What I did not see was the rape of Cherry being the catalyst for Nat Turner’s rebellion. I did see it as a contributing factor, but I think it was the treatment of slaves on other plantations and the lies that Nat was being directed to tell through the gospel was his motivation to take change by force.


Do I think that this movie has marginalized black women who have been victims of sexual assault 
and silenced them by giving the impression that unless a man takes up their cause, they have no hope of becoming vindicated? Another resounding “no!” I am not, nor have I ever been married, but I do know that if a woman close to me was raped and I knew the perpetrator, it would be difficult for me to sit by idly and do nothing. I am one of the biggest supporters of black girl magic, and do not believe that women cannot take up arms to support a cause or themselves without the help of a man. Furthermore, neither should you. The film was a beautiful story that needed to be told, despite your feelings about Nate Parker or the topic of rape within the film. If you feel that strongly and don’t want to put money in Parker’s pocket, then go get the bootleg…

No comments: