Monday, June 1, 2009

The Disease Called Mediocrity Strikes Again...Let's Have a Pity Party!

So, I'm coming to the realization that I may not have the level of tact that I sometimes criticize others for having, but I have not ever been the one to criticize someone for things that they can't control, and that will be my disclaimer for this post...

About two weeks ago a friend of mine contacted me for some "kind words" as she informed me that her wallet had been stolen. When I inquired into where she was when the wallet was stolen, she ever so matter-of-factly replied; "Starbucks." Then my kind words went out the window and I proceeded to rain on her pity party. Now I've been at Starbucks many a night, have left my laptop on the table to go smoke a cigarette, but never have I been the victim of theft there. Maybe because I take easily concealed items with me, always ask fellow patrons to watch my items in my absence, or I'm not scatter-brained like the one whom I'm referring to, yet I digress. Again, I will haze someone up for incidents that they are completely at fault for, so people should not expect me to show compassion for their fuck ups. My friend became bewildered at how I could seem not to care, but as I've expressed to her, someone's situation is always worse. Take me, for example, in my first year of law school I dealt with Katrina and all its effects less than a month after school started and saw my son come into this world less than a month before comps. My mind was in another place for most of the year, so why should I express sympathy for someone who was dumb enough to leave their wallet unattended in Starbucks. Besides credit cards can be cancelled in a matter of seconds, and the worst part about getting a new ID is standing in line. My soul still hasn't recovered from the storm, and I'm still struggling to provide for my son financially. But some never really appreciate how well they have it even in light of the misfortunes of others...

Case in point number two, I have another friend who posted on facebook today a status update about how she had to read 80-some-odd pages by tomorrow for a history class. I told her to multiply the figure by about 3 if she wanted an insight into my daily reading requirement for law school in addition to my sympathy. She took offense to my statement, remarking that today was her return to school after a two year hiatus, and that I should be more sympathetic to her plight. ARE YOU SERIOUS? First of all, I applaud your efforts as a single-mother to return back to school and make an effort to better life for your daughter, but as they say, nothing worth having comes easy, and you have to be willing to fight for what you want. Second, if you weren't on facebook searching for inspiration or people to make you feel better about your menial assignment, you could have easily did 10-20 pages of reading in the time you were bickering with me. But no, she remarked that when I was studying for the bar no one treated me in such a manner, although I never asked for the acceptance of the facebook community when it came down to my daily requirements for studying for the bar either time. Taking the bar was something that I brought on myself and it was up to me to see it through fruition. And I did just that, some people just need to realize that the world will not be handed to them and take things as they come and do what they need to in order to make their dreams a reality....

I'm putting to soapbox up now, but with 2 posts in 2 days, believe I'll have more ammo tomorrow!

No comments: