Monday, March 8, 2010

Victims of the Community???

This post is dedicated to the memory of Mr. Frank Brooks, Ms. Nakia Massey, Ms. Danielle Adams, and anyone else whom I either don't know of or forgot who passed that was either a member of Corpus Christi's last 8th grade class of 96 or a part of seeing us matriculate through that school...

Today, I was met with a shock, a realization that I may never see someone again in my life. But this person is not dead, only potentially gone forever currently appealing a life sentence murder conviction. This was a dear friend of mine, and although I hadn't seen him in years, I have more than a lifetime of memories of him. My thoughts of my old friend came as a result of Facebook, which is what the site was actually intended to do, provide a medium for friends so that they never lose contact. Well as I am nearing my 14th year anniversary of the graduation from Corpus Christi, I am thrilled to be in contact with people that I haven't seen or heard from in years, some since that night in May 1996 at the old church on St. Bernard. But, as with most reunions, there are the questions; "where have you been," "what have you been up to," "are you married," "what happened to such-and-such," the last of which is the whole inspiration for this posting.

A Facebook group was created for those Eagles who wore red, blue, and gold (although the red didn't come into play until like 92 or 93, and I don't really know where it came from) in hopes that we could all share our memories from cots and naps to trying to sneak off at field day to play "Kiss, Catch, and Get a Lil Bit." And in the course of a simple conversation on the board certain names came up. Now I won't put people out there on blast but I mean most people are doing well, married, kids, yanno, living life. And then there are others, one of my good friends whom I hung out with a lot because he and I were both short, even shorter than most of the girls lol, was acquitted of a murder charge where he had signed a confession alleging it was an accident. (Quick Sidebar: I don't know what the truth is or what isn't but he was acquitted in criminal court, so that means he's an innocent man despite what the streets say, or despite the NOPD's track record for putting the blame on innocent black men) Found out another old friend was indicted for rape in 2004, and again for aggravated assault in 2007, but I don't know if he ever served time, but have heard he did like 2 yrs for dealing heroin. But today was just the end all be all. I saw another friend post that one guy who I always looked at as like a big brother was fighting a murder charge, but what I didn't know is that on November 20, 2009, he was sentenced to life without the possibility of parole, and my heart just sank. Whether he did it or not I'll never know, but with the possibility of appeals getting overturned, especially for a murder, I know I'll probably never see him again.

So then I got to thinking. Is it normal for people to go to elementary school with murderers and rapists? Are we victims of being raised in New Orleans, or is this just life? Were these people always that bad but since I knew them as kids I dismissed their antics? My son is mischievous, does this mean he's heading down the same path and I need to get him out of New Orleans? I was afforded the same options as my classmates but yet I've never been to jail, and have done quite well for myself. I guess my dad said it best, "when you're little, you just never know who that person you're sitting next to will be in 10 or 20 years."

No comments: