Saturday, January 24, 2009

We've Lost Our Killer Instinct...

On yesterday I checked my email and I noticed a blip on the yahoo news screen about a girls high school team beating their opponent 100-0 in basketball. The story of which can be seen here talks of how the coach of the winning team is feeling remorseful about beating another school by 100 points. However I don't think that he should have to. In a society where we give out participation trophies, and believe that children should never have their feelings hurt, i don't see how people even wonder how America has lost the supremacy it once had 50 years ago. We are too accommodating to people in order to make them feel better about their shitty lives. We have mercy rules, and it seems to be good sportsmanship to let a team have it easy. I remember when I played sports in high school, it was always easier to accept a blow out then a close loss, so I wonder what that does to a child's self-esteem if you don't pad the score. For instance its gentlemanly in professional football to just run the ball late in the game in order to run the clock. But I feel like Bill Belichick, if you can't stop me, then why should I baby you and stop my game plan. Either you should have planned better for the game, or you shouldn't be on the field. Yes, I'm a fan of running up the score, and not taking it easy. Because of people taking it easy, you have idiots on American Idol who really think that they can sing and they they cry their eyes out when the judges tell them that they actually cannot. People need to be pushed to do better, in that respect, competition is healthy. We talk about how bad the education system of this country is, but what's the next step to tell A students not to do so well to make the C/D students feel better? GIVE ME A BREAK!

1 comment:

Cluttered Mind said...

Kellen, I completely agree somehow us as Americans and especially African Americans have lost our ability to compete on a friendly level... What i mean by that is i will kick your ass this time but next time you are going to come better prepared to fight.. Somehow I feel this is a way to keep the status quo..... It makes the saying "If at first you don't succeed try again" invalid cause LORD knows the TBLE did not feel that way!